March 28, 2013

BOOKWORM // GONE GIRL

There has been quite a bit of hype around the book Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. When a few of my friends began to talk about the book, I knew it was high time to pick up a copy myself.



Honestly, I don't really know how to give a synopsis of this book without giving it away but I'll give it a go. It all starts when a young husband finds that his wife has gone missing. The first half of the story is told through the husband's thoughts present-day and the wife's old diary. The second half switches to the wife's thoughts present-day and the husband's future one's. It takes a few crazy twists and turns, making half of the things that I wrote above semi-lies. It's the kind of book that you have to just read for yourself. I'm not going to definitively say that I loved it or hated it, because I had moments of thinking both.

One thing is for sure. It was utterly and completely out of my reading comfort zone. The last mystery/thriller that I picked up was Harry Potter (does that even count?) and I don't typically have any inclination towards that genre. It felt refreshing to break my mold for a moment and read something completely unusual. Do you have a "reading comfort zone" and what do you think about breaking it?

No comments:

Post a Comment