January 27, 2012

BOOKWORM // JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER

It's no secret that I love a good book, or a good bookshelf.  It's essentially my dream to have a room in my future house that is filled with books.  A room something like one of these [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
But I have a confession, I don't really buy books.  I am a library girl all. the. way.  We never bought books growing up.  We did a whole lot of reading and took a whole lot of library trips, but my parents just thought "why buy a book when you've got thousands down the street?"  Honestly, I see their point.

But I had an epiphany the other day.  Buying a book is like buying a piece of art.  With so many less expensive and more convenient options, the only tangible benefit of a book is it's beauty.  So yes, I do buy books partially because of their covers.  Partially.  It's true, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Are you a book-buyer or a book-borrower?  What do you think of my little books-as-art theory?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a library girl too, though I will admit that I sometimes buy books after I've borrowed and read them. I think books can be art, but for me, they're insight into a person's soul and interests, so I'm really careful about what I keep around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Another reason for me to start growing my personal library...I think I need another savings account for all of the books that are on my wish list right now. Thanks for stopping by the blog, Brandi!

      Delete