July 12, 2013

WEEKENDING // 4TH OF JULY

The 4th of July typically hits me like a ton of (very happy) bricks. Summer is in full swing and Michigan is in its prime. This year was extra special thanks to a sizeable break from the grind. I was able to head up north on Wednesday night and stay until Sunday. Quite a treat for a working lady like me! I packed in full-on "USA" garb to boot.


On Thursday, we visited my grandparents at their house on Hutchins Lake in Fennville, MI. We spent the day catching up with various family members, eating tasty food, kayaking around the lake and unsuccessfully attempting to squish mosquitos. At night, the lake turned into a 360 degree fireworks show. Fireworks were legal in the mitten this year and the self-made shows were hard to beat.



Friday brought on a beach day in the purest sense. We went to the little beach at the end of our road. It was just renovated (stairs!) and was a great spot to take in some rays. After our beachy afternoon, we decided to bring out our ski boat and take the lake to Holland's waterfront restaurant, Boatwerks. There is really something special about the Michigan shoreline. It's unbeatable in my mind.




Saturday, we took the boat out again. I spend (a little too much) time in the sun and convinced myself to take a dip in the refreshing lake. Saturday night brought the annual 4th of July party to Sand Dr. Our neighbors all gather to play lawn games, catch up and launch fireworks like there is no tomorrow. Take a look at my instagram for videos of the whole shebang. Unfortunately, this year's show didn't come without a casualty. While running from a recently lit box of fireworks, my dad managed to sprain a muscle in his calf. All should be fine, but it's not exactly the best way to end a holiday!

Sunday was a lazy day. We cheered on Andy Murray in the Wimbledon final and saw history happen as he became the first Brit in 77 years to take the title. After his victory, my mom and I organized things for the move to my new townhouse this weekend. More on that ordeal later!

It was a fun filled and relaxing weekend. Exactly what my water-loving soul needed. How did you spend your holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment