January 4, 2012

BOOKWORM // ON THE ROAD

Whewf.  New word.  I made it up.  It means: "to be releived that a book that has been on your 'to read' shelf is finally on your 'read' shelf." I recently finished On the Road, by Jack Kerouac.  The book provided me with a poetic journey through America, but I just didn't love it like I thought I should.  


My review: Not bad. I wasn't floored by it though.  Perhaps it's because I chose the original scroll version from Penguin, Kerouac's first draft.  I did enjoy picturing the author holed up with a typewriter just pouring out his soul without reprieve.  However, I just couldn't shake the idea that I would probably dislike these characters if I met them in real life.  They honestly epitomize a lot of what I hope never to be, but I also envy them for their nerve.  I'm glad I read this book, if only to say that I read it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment