February 21, 2013

BOOKWORM // THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY

I told you that I was finding time for the things I loved. I didn't tell you the full truth. I'm finding lots of time and I've already finished a second book. This book was truly memorable and is very deserving of a place on my list of favorite books ever.



The book was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It's set in post-WWII England and written entirely through letters. Books that are written through letters usually bother me, but I fell in love with this one. The main character is an author herself, researching for a book that she wants to write about a literary society that she stumbles upon. It felt like reading a Jane Austen novel in some ways, which I count as a great attribute. The characters were very endearing and incredibly real. I highly recommend making this book a part of your to-read list.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it.. It's been on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you write book posts! i'm constantly looking for something to read. i've never read a book thats told through letters, this sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete