May 28, 2013

GRADUATION // THOUGHTS



After a whirlwind couple of weeks, I am slowly starting to catch up to life and such. The first step in the craziness was most definitely GRADUATION. I am no longer a student and I don't plan to set foot in a school this fall. Imagine me whining and wailing about how life is short and I am getting old. Photos, yes? 


My parents, sister and one set of grandparents made it down to Indianapolis to celebrate. I owe a lot (everything) to them and honestly don't know how to thank them for the support they have given me. Without them, this degree would not have happened. End of story. 


These girls have shaped my experience at Butler. Who could have guessed that I would join a sorority and make those cheesy, cliche, one-for-the-record-books kinds of friendships that I have? It gave me such joy to see 30+ lovely ladies adorn their caps with fleur de lis and walk across that stage. 



And one of the entire pledge class. 


The ceremony itself was nice. Long like all graduation ceremonies, of course! Our commencement speaker was the author John Green. I have yet to read a John Green book, although they have been on my to-read list for a while now. He was witty, wise and entertaining. Wonderful! 


Post-ceremony cheesin' with one of my favorites. My family rushed off to catch our reservation at Harry and Izzy's, a local steakhouse. I had never been. It was wonderful for a special occasion. The staff even gave me a "congrats grad" card because I had mentioned that we were coming from a graduation ceremony. How awesome is that? 


After our late lunch, we went back to my house and celebrated with some of my very best and definitely longest friends here at Butler. Jacqueline and I met (and immediately became besties) during orientation week! She's stuck with me through these four years like only a truly great friend does. I know these four years will be only a blip on the map of our friendship. We're going to be 80 and reminiscing about graduation day. I have no doubt. Our families get along so well and it was a wonderful way to wind down after an exhausting day! 

My family called it an early night since we were off to Paris the next day! Let me tell you, it was all I could do not to go to the airport right then and there. More on our Paris trip later! 

4 comments:

  1. L&L, congrats, and bon voyage!! can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU WERE IN THE CLASS THAT JOHN GREEN GAVE A SPEECH TO?! My jealousy right now, OMG! You need to read his books. They changed my entire perspective on YA literature. Congrats on the graduation!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a great speaker! The perfect mix of entertaining and meaningful. His books are on my to-read list for sure.

      Delete
  3. Just catching up on a little Lovely Explorer on this beautiful Sunday. These are some seriously wonderful posts - especially the last bit of this one. ;) As you would expect, it made me tear up. So proud to be your friend. Don't know what I do without you gal!

    ReplyDelete